UPDATE (6/16/10): Major Changes to Summer Training 2010
Some changes have been made regarding this year’s summer training. Read on for the latest updates.
1) The training dates have been adjusted. The first two days of training will now be June 26 and 27 (this is to better accommodate more students who aren’t available on June 19 because Summer Session C doesn’t start until June 21).
2) Part 2 of the training will still be on the same dates (July 17 and July 24).
1) Now that the tours are before the training, we hope that all of you who are interested attend our tours. These tours will help you decide whether or not you would be interested in some of the work we do on-site at the Suitcase Clinic. Please read the post below for more information on where to meet.
2) If you miss the tour you can still apply, and if you are accepted you can take a quick tour when you go shadow; however, going on the first tour is preferred.
1) This scheduling change means that the application deadline will be extended until June 23rd at midnight!
2) You can still turn applications in to 570 University Hall to the Suitcase Clinic mailbox or email us at email@example.com
Dear Prospective Summer 2010 Volunteers!
1) There is only going to be ONE 4-day training this summer extended over the course of a month.
2) The training dates are June 26, June 27, July 17, and July 24. YOU MUST ATTEND ALL 4 DAYS!!! No exceptions!!! If you are unable to be in Berkeley during this entire month we suggest you apply during the Fall or Spring semesters. This is because in between June and July we will require you to go to clinic every week to shadow and casework, so you really just have to be in town Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday.
3) Each day will be a span of 6 hrs (10am-4pm) in which you will have 1 hr to have lunch.
4) There is going to be a class fee of $50. You must bring this on the 1st day if you are accepted. Write a check out to ASUC – Suitcase Clinic. You can also bring cash but we prefer that you write a check. Your contribution will help keep our clinics open and services in place as well as pay for your reader.
Day 1 (June 26): 70 Evans
Day 2 (June 27): TBD
Day 3 (July 17): 220 Wheeler
Day 4 (July 24): 220 Wheeler
What is Suitcase?
Suitcase Clinic is service-learning organization dedicated to training competent caseworkers who can staff the Suitcase Clinic’s three drop-in centers (Youth Clinic Monday nights, Women’s Clinic Monday nights, General Clinic Tuesday nights), empowering students who are passionate about ending homelessness, and exposing future leaders in medicine, law, social welfare, academia, or politics (that’s you!) to a philosophy of humanization, cooperative learning, and social justice. This however, is NOT A CLINICAL EXPERIENCE in terms of diagnosing, doing tests, or providing medical services. It is a clinical experience in terms of how you interact with clients. The work that you’ll be doing is mainly advocacy work and providing social services.
Part 1: June 26 and 27
We will be training you on how to volunteer as caseworkers and learn the necessary skills to work in clinic. We will also go over the requirements. The following Monday and Tuesday we will be giving tours of the clinics. The second Monday and Tuesday you will be required to go shadow a current volunteer!
Part 2: July 17 and 24
We will be covering issues related to homelessness and learn/think about potential ways to advocate for our clients. Topics include healthcare, criminalizing homeless people, history of homelessness, housing, mental illness and substance abuse and more. There will be activities and hopefully some guest speakers.
Throughout this summer training we may have socials during the weekends in between to help you get to know other volunteers!
There is going to be an application process this summer. Since we are reducing the number of trainings this summer you will all be required to fill out a brief application HERE. The application is due promptly at midnight on Wednesday, June 23. Send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will probably accept somewhere between 45-55 applicants. The application is in a word document so you may have to fuss around with the format when you type in your information. We apologize for this. If you would like to print out a copy and turn in a hand written version you must turn that in by 3:00pm to 570 University Hall on Wednesday, June 17. Ask the front desk lady (Denise) if you can go to the back and put the application into the Suitcase Clinic mailbox.
Tours Meeting Location
Everyone is welcome to attend and we hope that you do! This will help you decide whether or not you want to be part of the Suitcase Clinic and see a part of what we do on-site.
1) The Youth and Women’s tour will be on Monday (June 21st) at 7:00pm, 7:30, and 8pm. Meet in front of the RSF and sign in.
2) General Clinic will be on Tuesday (June 22nd) at 7:00 pm, 7:30pm, and 8pm. Meet in front of Sproul Fountain.