The East Coast’s frigid temperatures are reaching a dangerously low level–causing NYC and DC to issue a Code Blue, meaning no houseless/shelterless folks can be turned away at a shelter. Please spread the news and follow these guidelines to learn how you can help a neighbor in need (source: coalitionforthehomeless).
- Unless you feel unsafe doing so, ask if teh person is ok, has some place to go, and needs help.
- Call 311 and ask for “Homeless Outreach” to let the City know that there is a person in need of emergency shelter.
- If the person seems to require medical attention, call 911 for emergency assistance.
- Provide information about the Coalition’s Grand Central Food Program (GCFP), which offers warm food, coats, blankets, sleeping bags, and assistance 365 days of the year–even during dangerous winter weather like blizzards
- Share the following graphic with your friends and family and spread the word on how to help our neighbos in need.