UPDATE: Application is now available here
Suitcase Clinic is calling all majors to apply!
The Suitcase Clinic is a student group that operates three multi-disciplinary clinics each week and offers free services to the bay-area homeless and low income communities since 1989. The Suitcase Clinic offers health care, medicines, vision screening, wellness activities, legal advice, dinners, foot-washing and the services of a chiropractor, a hair stylist and massage therapist free to the public.
We are run on an all-volunteer basis by undergraduates, medical and optometry students, and volunteer professionals from a number of fields. Seventy percent of our clients are homeless. Our General Clinic runs every Tuesday night, and our Women’s and Youth Clinics run Monday nights.
What you can do as part of Suitcase Clinic:
- Give more than spare change to the homeless on the streets of Berkeley
- Gain exposure to law, public health, public policy, and social welfare
- Meet community leaders who work to alleviate poverty locally
- Advocate to end hunger and homelessness in sustainable ways
If you are interested in volunteering, we offer a 2 unit P/NP class though which you will receive training, as well as learn more about the homeless population and the problems they face. It is HMS 98/198 (Thursdays 5-7PM) and we meet starting Thursday, September 9th in 130 Wheeler.
If you are interested in learning more about applying, there are two info sessions: Thursday, September 2 from 5-7PM in 130 Wheeler, and Friday, September 3 from 5-7PM in 130 Wheeler.
1) You must fill out an application which can be downloaded here
- Turn in applications to 570 University Hall by 4PM on Wednesday Sept 8, 2010
- You must complete at least one tour of one of our clinics before you turn in your application. Thus, this means the earliest you should be turning in your application is Tuesday morning.
2) Tours: You must attend at least one tour as part of your application
- Monday: Youth Clinic: 7PM, 7:30PM, 8PM -> Meet in front of the Recreational Sports Facility
- Monday: Women’s Clinic: 7:30PM, 8PM, 8:30PM -> Meet in front of the Recreational Sports Facility
- Tuesday: General Clinic: 7PM, 7:30PM, 8PM -> Meet at Sproul Fountain
3) You will be notified about the status of your application on Wednesday, Sept. 8 by 10PM through phone call or email.
NOTE: If you have put yourself on the waitlist, please remove yourself. It will not grant you admission to the class.
If you have any questions at all, feel free to email: email@example.com