– Admin Stuff
– Goals and Reflections per division
– TLC Update
– New Position (CARE)
– Med Update
– Decrease in Client Turnout
– Suitcase Social
– a formal PC meeting each month where each division gives updates on their retreat goals especially their long term goal – all members must be present (first Tuesday of the month)
– at PC on a weekly basis division head will give update
– PC is a forum to discuss and retain accountability more – so need to utilize it more
– ExComm rep is the division head
– If you have to miss a PC meeting, you must tell one of the admin
– Any purchase can be reimbursed, but must be approved by the division head
– Need name, address, and reason for purchase
– Each division has a page in the admin binder with a running total of the divisions spending and remaining budget
– Whoever of the 3 admin has the binder will be doing reimbursements (2 week rotations between the admin)
– Go to 400 Eshelman to pick up your reimbursements – turned in by Tuesday afternoon and will be ready Friday afternoon of the same week
– If less than $50 you will get cash back, if greater than $50, a check
Goals and Reflections:
– Old goals:
o last spring wanted to work with Med to increase caseworking – worked so/so but with new med coordinators need to make sure they know and increase communication with med students as well as communication with volunteer coords and Med and get them to come to clinic coord meetings (will also try to have monthly open meetings about general) The doctors like the caseworking model!
o wanted to work on a more vocal debriefing – also worked so/so, sometimes is good, sometimes brief – want to make sure to make debriefing mandatory for class (already been announced in class)
o wanted to recruit a social worker – found though clients didn’t really use her, and so she left, maybe have a social worker who works with the cc’s? or ask COCA/Health Ed for referrals in the meantime, also have a contact to refer them to outside of clinic (the new position may make this easier – discussed later), also talk to Jason Albertson who used to volunteer at Youth Clinic
o Chiro – chiropractors tend to cancel too much – tried to make sure and call before and still isn’t working, may have lost another recently, need to recruit another chiropractor (Youth has also lost chiro, Women’s is fine with chiro every other week), maybe send out letters?
o Opto – reduced to 8 appointments a week due to budget – want to get the bills from Admin to check up on names, as well as get money to offer more appts
o Appreciation for Service Providers – done
– New Goals (besides improving on those from last semester):
o Megaphone – hope to bring it back from before – would make announcements clearer and reduce complaints from clients
o Church – talk to Julie in regards to the new building, also concerned about the kids since clients start lining up early – want to find out what changes should be implemented for safety
o Organize files – purchased binders and hope to go through and remove any old files
o While waiting clients want games if they don’t have a caseworker – board games?
o Haircutting inconsistency – hope to get a group that rotates, and maybe a haircutting coordinator? Recruit from class!
o Calendar of services – posted by the table and tells the services for each week
o Food group/dinner suggestions – clients want more dinners! Pot-luck style dinners? But make sure clean up and get out on time for custodians, and also have one person in each room to monitor
o Footwashing – need socks! Maybe ask class supply drive and go to dorms, as well as send letters to big places
– Name tags to help learn names of new volunteers
– Food for volunteers
– Long term goal is to improve med relations (having caseworkers up there etc)
– Volunteer awards and retention
– Having a consistent number of volunteers each night
– COCA casework the first client for med, do intake with med to refer out
– Update on old goals: binder update, expand COCA, utilize class to update referrals (info-friendly sheets – implemented but still not passed out at clinic), specialized knowledge – don’t want and instead will look up and call client back
– New goals: update binder with Med, continue to work with class, stress COCA unity with other clinics, email each week about the referrals, keep BPC attendance (only about 50% going – can get about 10 referrals), do have a website through BPC but currently down – hope to be back up in November
– old goals: work with class for donations, use budget efficiently, and contact businesses
– new goals: work with other organizations, increase interactions with SHARE (health seminars, etc), find out what they’re interested in, offer healthy snacks, compile a binder with new ideas – running log of information
– progress: experiment with facilitation/meeting structure as well as try to go back to the roots of SHARE (reading Robert Ratner’s thesis)
– goals: health ed seminars, be more active (such as a project), relevant topics for the night to engage students and clients, increase recruitment and publicity of SHARE (outreach group from class?), figure out ways for clients to give back to students
– want to have interactive and diversity in teaching
o group presentations after the midterm – have students send an outline of presentation before hand
o limit speaker time to have time to discuss more in-depth in small groups
o create a more intimate class setting by emphasizing small groups – have made reader smaller and more “edible” – ask to read certain articles to discuss in small groups and tie lecture and readings back to clinic
– after shadowing, have a mini-check out with new kids to make sure any problems/ concerns/etc get answered right there (more for youth/women’s where in-class training is slightly more slanted towards general)
– update on old goals:
o increase produce – done
o create a Youth policy book – in progress
o referral specialists – never really got to it
o increase client responsibility (so they have more ownership of the area) – going well
o increase class-clinic relations – also in progress
– new goals:
o jacket, blanket and sock drive!
o Work on volunteer involvement and accountability – bring back debriefing!
o Outreach – used to have Americorps but haven’t heard anything in awhile
o Service providers don’t want to stay and debrief – want to increase clinic communication
o Better volunteer transition
– update on old goals:
o monthly meetings fell apart
o Email reminders are great!
o Resource guide also good
o Service Provider Appreciation – good!
o Inventory – getting there
o More meds (over-the-counter esp) – done
o Housing and job listings – get mailings
o Speakers – none
o COCA’s have been updated, and class and children’s were good
– new goals
o open meetings for PC and volunteers
o service announcement problems – thinking of getting a big whiteboard of the nights services
o incorporate the new women that come in
o need to do a supply inventory
o med students – want to maintain communication with them
o generic calendar of services
o empower the health ed – job listings, supplies for those clients not living there, talk to Phyllis
o Children’s – birthday list (Anne’s sister will make a cake!), holiday activities, hope to get 3rd and 4th floor kids involved as well as include teenagers, and also hope to do a toy drive
o Clean up and debrief every night – tell volunteers clinic goes till 9:30PM
o Long term goals: Structure.
– Update on old goals
o raise $20,000 by June – have 5 grants pending
o non-profit status – on hold till we have money..
o budget reworking – done
o make SPAD rad and affordable – did
o maintain relations with class – fine
o transition new admin – did
– New goals:
o Raise lots of money! (write a minimum of 4 grants this semester)
o Maintain records and materials (budget info, foundation database, grant templates and samples) – created a binder
o Accountability (retreat is mandatory, as are PC meetings – must clear through an admin if you are going to miss)
o Good communication between admin – have weekly meetings as well as cc any emails to each other
o Maintain clinic spirit – fun icebreakers, social
– closed July 1st
– Luke working with Lifelong Medical Care
– Open again as a part of BPC
– Need to make an appointment before Wednesday
– $15 copay if not homeless
– Get clients in because want to take Suitcase clients
– Youth division closed
New Position: C.A.R.E – Client Advocate for Referrals and Empowerment (Kara)
– non-medical referrals have fallen through the cracks position would be with COCA/Health Ed and give out non-medical referrals
– need to vote on it to create a new position – Kara will write up a description which we will vote about at Sunshine (October 27th) and from there summary needs to go in policy book
Medical Division Update (Shawn – Medical Coordinator at Youth Clinic):
– meeting with TLC
– go to Youth to find out how we’re getting referrals
– med students have a website to know how will be there each week (students and doctors)
Decrease in client turnout at clinic
– There has been a noticeable decrease in client turn out at general clinic. Youth noticed a decrease in clients as well, but believe it is because people have gone home for summer. Women’s clinic reports no problem of client attendance because the women live in the shelter.
– Feedback forms were given in general clinic to find reasons of this decrease. Some possible reasons are: Berkeley is not as hospitable, there was confusion over summer and people thought clinic was shut down permanently.
– Suggestions to increase attendance: give sheets for upcoming suitcase clinic services to other clinics such as Berkeley Free Clinic and TLC. Flyers can also be created explaining what suitcase clinic is and the services we provide. These flyers could be distributed, by the outreach group, to people around Berkeley. Birdie’s Community Resources group can also try to spread the word to other clinics. SHARE could also be used as a forum to discuss why people are not returning to clinic.
– The elected ex comm. representative for each division will be in charge of the budget for the semester, approves reimbursements and delivers monthly reports at PC. The individual divisions should meet as a group and evaluate last semester’s budget to find areas that could be cut for this upcoming semester. Ex comm. meetings will be held from 7-8 on Thursdays, and specific dates will be emailed out on PC.
– The following representatives were chosen:
o General clinic: Christina
o COCA: might need a small budget, will discuss it later
o Class: Terry
o Women’s clinic: Melanie
o Health Ed: Nancy
o Med: will discuss
o Youth: Jake
– Attend clinic on the 27th of September!! General Clinic is going to be evaluated by the SF fund for a possible grant… we need to look professional and organized!
– October 1st is the tentative date for a referral training of resources around Berkeley… this date might be changed depending on the Cal Corp retreat.
– October 27th and November 17th are scheduled for sunshine meetings, and the location will be announced. Sunshine meetings can be described like an extended PC meeting. All officers must attend. At sunshine we discuss new issues that arise following the retreat and discuss any issues that may come up again. We will explain in more detail the new position that might be created at the next sunshine meeting as well as discuss a PC project (winter supply drive – coats, blankets, toys etc)
o A new 3 legged race tradition will also take place at the next sunshine meeting…
Suitcase clinic social
– glow-bowling on a Tuesday night after clinic
– possible dates: October 18th or 25th – will decide at PC