The Suitcase Clinic values education, along with raising awareness of homelessness issues and the services we provide. Generating community awareness ensures the success of the Suitcase Clinic by building and maintaining cooperative relationships with students, community members, potential donors and local businesses. We welcome media that will present the Suitcase Clinic to an audience that may not otherwise hear of us. It is the main goal of our organization to protect the confidentiality of our clients, and to be a safe, positive environment for everyone involved. This should guide any pursuit of media exposure.
Adherence to the following protocol is required:
- All materials written by Suitcase Clinic staff to be published or distributed, and other media opportunities, must be presented to and approved at the Planning Committee Meeting, with the exception of handbills and fliers;
- Non-Suitcase Clinic sponsored media must submit a signed Media Event Request Form.
- The form must be submitted at least two weeks prior the scheduled media event or use of a particular publicity method;
- The Suitcase Clinic Planning Committee must approve the media event at least one week prior to the scheduled media event or use of a particular publicity method.
Media approved by the Suitcase Clinic must meet the following criteria:
- Filming and photographs must be in individual sequences, panoramas are prohibited;
- Only drop-in center clients, participants and staff that have filled out consent forms may be filmed or photographed;
- Media must be accompanied by a member of the staff at all times;
- Any filming or photography of a personal nature must be staged. Filming during medical history interviews is NOT permitted;
- Every flier, poster, or handbill bearing the Suitcase Clinic name or affiliation must also state “ASUC/CalCorps Sponsored, Wheelchair Accessible.”
The Suitcase Clinic must be informed of the following factors prior to permitting any media activity:
- The feasibility of maintaining confidentiality of those who request it;
- The rationale behind the activity;
- The projected audience that will have access to the material;
- The extent to which the committee can review/edit the material;
- The extent of disruption to the Suitcase Clinic.